After hosting the league-wide open tryout the Pittsburg Diamonds are pleased to announce their first round draft selection Wes Wallace. A 24-year old from San Diego, the right handed outfielder has over 80 games of professional baseball experience.
A three-year varsity player at Mount Carmel High School, Wallace began his collegiate playing career at Grossmont College hitting .338 in 2012. He transferred to Sonoma State University for his final two years, starting 31 of 38 games as a senior in 2014.
“I’m just looking to make a club better,” said Wallace speaking on his goals for the season. Wallace has high expectation for himself and the team saying, “Putting together a competitive season to help win a championship.”
Wallace began his pro career in the Pecos League in 2015 playing 63 games with the White Sands Pupfish. After posting a batting average of .328 while hitting 11 home runs and 51 RBI Wallace signed with the Bridgeport Bluefish (Atlantic League) playing four games.
In 2016 Wallace signed with Traverse City Beach Bums of the Frontier League where he appeared in 14 games.
2017 Diamonds Draft Selections
- Austin Fraker, OF – Mission Viejo High School ’11 – Experience: Edinburg Roadrunners, Fort Worth Cats (ULB)
- Brian Ingram, 1B, C – Sacramento City College ’15
- Eddie Malone, Jr., 1B, 3B, OF – Central Washington University ’13 – Experience: Santa Fe Fuego (Pecos), Watertown Bucks (Empire)
- Patrick McKnight, P – Cal State East Bay ’16
- Abel Medina, Jr., IF, OF – Cal State Dominguez Hills ’11 – Experience: Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings (ULB)
- Zach Rapacz, OF, 1B – George Fox University ’15 – Experience: Walla Walla Sweets (WCL)