Tucson Saguaros are the newest team in the Pecos League, an independent baseball league based in the Southwest. They are also one of the hottest teams in all of indy ball winning their first six games in franchise history.
Largely considered the lowest-tier of independent ball, the Pecos League is often a “first stop” for aspiring players looking to move up the independent circuit or affiliated ball. Rosters range from the first-year player to veterans of affiliated league clubs looking for one more chance.
The Saguaros roster is no exception – their starting rotation features all of the above:
- Steve Borkowski, 23, St. Catherine (KY) College – spent time with the Danville Braves (Rookie) in 2015
- Carlos Diaz, 24 – pitched in 2012 and 2013 for the Cleveland Indians DSL and Arizona League (Rookie) teams
- Cameron Cox, 23 – drafted by the Indians in 2012 out of Weatherford (TX) College; transferred to Concordia (TX) for final two seasons
- Brian Luebcke, 22 – just concluded college career at St. Joe’s College Brooklyn; named Skyline Conference Player of the Year in 2016
- Pepe Gomez – Oral Roberts – Tucson native; played two years at Pima CC before finishing at ORU (2013-14)
Leave a Reply