Round 4 of the U.S. Open Cup marks the entrance of 16 Major League Soccer clubs and there were plenty of “upsets” of the top-tier league teams. The round fixtures opened last week and two MLS clubs (Houston defeated Laredo Heat 1-0; San Jose 2-1 over Sacramento) escaped with one goal victories at home.
The three teams that played over the weekend were not as lucky as NASL clubs Atlanta Silverbacks, Carolina RailHawks and New York Cosmos all put an end to the hopes of Real Salt Lake, Chivas USA and New York Red Bulls. On Tuesday Rochester Rhinos (USL PRO) knocked out current leaders of the East and defending Open Cup winner D.C. United with a 1-0 victory. Philadelphia and Columbus both need overtime to move on while Colorado Rapids, FC Dallas and Portland Timbers had an easier time moving on.
Tonight the final five MLS clubs enter the competition, but just one matchup is against an NASL club: Sporting Kansas City vs Minnesota United FC. Fans can watch the match on the Sporting YouTube channel.
The lone USASA club remaining, PSA Elite will travel to face Seattle Sounders. The Tustin, California-based club compete in the Coast Soccer League and were the Raul Briones Cup winners this season. Already advancing through three rounds (defeated LA Galaxy II in Round 3), PSA Elite will face a Sounders team that currently sit atop the MLS table.
2014 U.S. Open Cup 4th Round schedule/results:
- Houston Dynamo 1, Laredo Heat (PDL) 0
- San Jose Earthquakes 2, Sacramento Republic (USL PRO) 1
- Atlanta Silverbacks (NASL) 2, Real Salt Lake 1
- Carolina RailHawks (NASL) 1, Chivas USA 1 – Carolina win in PK’s
- New York Cosmos (NASL) 3, New York Red Bulls 0
- Colorado Rapids 5, Orlando City SC (USL PRO) 2
- Columbus Crew 2, Indy Eleven (NASL) 1 – OT
- FC Dallas 2, San Antonio Scorpions (NASL) 0
- Philadelphia Union 3, Harrisburg City Islanders (USL PRO) 1 – OT
- Portland Timbers 3, Orlando City SC U23 (PDL) 0
- Rochester Rhinos (USL PRO) 1, D.C. United 0
- Richmond Kickers (USL PRO) 2, New England Revolution 3
- Chicago Fire 2, Pittsburgh Riverhounds (USL PRO) 1
- Sporting Kansas City 2, Minnesota United (NASL) 0
- Seattle Sounders 5, vs PSA Elite (USASA) 0
- Arizona United (USL PRO) 1, L.A. Galaxy 2