Expansion club Oklahoma City Energy FC and defending MLS Cup champion Sporting Kansas City announced today that they have agreed to an affiliation agreement for 2014. It is the sixth team to officially agree to the affiliation, although it is expected the other 2014 expansion side Sacramento Republic FC has an agreement in place with the Portland Timbers.
USL PRO is expected to have 15 teams competing in 2014, up from 13 last season. In addition to Oklahoma City and Sacramento, two MLS clubs (FC Dallas and LA Galaxy) are rumored to be fielding full reserve sides.
The league did lose two clubs from 2013: Antigua Barracuda FC played all 26 games on the road without winning a game. VSI Tampa Bay FC professional team ceased operations after just one season in USL PRO.
2014 USL PRO – MLS affiliate
- Charleston Battery
- Charlotte Eagles
- Dayton Dutch Lions – Columbus Crew
- FC Dallas Reserves
- Harrisburg City Islanders – Philadelphia Union
- Los Angeles Blues
- Los Angeles Galaxy Reserves
- Oklahoma City Energy FC – Sporting Kansas City
- Orland0 City SC (moves to MLS in 2015) – Sporting Kansas City
- Phoenix FC Wolves
- Pittsburgh Riverhounds – Houston Dynamo
- Richmond Kickers – D.C. United
- Rochester Rhinos – New England Revolution
- Sacramento Republic FC – Portland Timbers
- Wilmington Hammerheads
2015 USL PRO expansion franchises
- Colorado Springs
- Tulsa http://uslprotulsa.com
Leave a Reply