Winning their second-straight Big Ten title, Penn State men’s soccer team earned the top seed and a bye into the tournament semifinals. The 11th-ranked Nittany Lions will face the winner of the Michigan-Indiana quarterfinal matchup on Friday at 11 AM (CT).
The opposite side of the bracket sees the 2-seed Wisconsin, who just missed out on a share of the conference title, facing the 7-seed Northwestern. A September 29 loss to Penn State turned out to be the difference for the Badgers, who are 4-0-1 in the last five matches. During the final five-game stretch Wisconsin, ranked #16 in the national NSCAA poll, has outscored their opponents 10-2.
Senior Nick Janus led the Badgers with 9 goals this season. Totino-Grace HS grad Paul Yonga started all 18 matches for Wisconsin, scoring 2 goals and 3 assists. The senior defender/midfielder was the 2009 Class A Mr. Soccer in Minnesota after leading Totino-Grace to a 3rd place finish in the state tournament.
Reigning tournament champion Michigan State will play the host Ohio State Buckeyes in a quarterfinal.
Big Ten Men’s Soccer Tournament Schedule
- 1:00 PM: Michigan State (10-4-3) vs Ohio State (5-7-5)
- 3:30 PM: Michigan (8-6-3) vs Indiana (6-11-1)
- 6:00 PM: Wisconsin (13-3-2) vs Northwestern (9-6-3)
- 11:00 AM: Penn State (11-5-1) vs Michigan-Indiana winner, BTN
- 1:30 PM: Wisconsin-Northwestern winner vs Michigan State-Ohio State winner, BTN
- 1:00 PM: Championship, BTN
2013 Big Ten Men’s Soccer Tournament bracket: 2013 Men’s Soccer Bracket