All six NPSL clubs bowed out of the U.S. Open Cup after round 2, but the evening results tonight have been staggering! The 16 Major League Soccer (MLS) clubs enter the competition in Round 3 and 14 of those clubs took the pitch tonight. And…
Six of the 16 MLS clubs hosted matches tonight. Three (Columbus Crew, FC Dallas, Real Salt Lake) lost. Overall, only seven MLS clubs advanced to Round 4!
Three of five NASL (Level 2 of U.S. Soccer) defeated their MLS opponents.
Of those NASL clubs, Minnesota Stars FC went on the road to MLS-leading Real Salt Lake and dominated 3-1. Real Salt Lake currently sit atop the MLS table with a record of 9-3-2 for 29 points.
The next opponent for Minnesota is San Jose Earthquakes, who are second in the standings at 8-3-3; 27 points. It will be played on Tuesday, June 5 at Cagan Stadium on the campus of Stanford University.
Minnesota Stars FC, the defending NASL Cup champions, are on a 12-match unbeaten streak dating back to October 2011. They have a 4-0-3 record in NASL play in 2012.
Two more Round 3 matches are scheduled for Thursday. Complete Round 4 schedule will be determined then.
U.S. Open Cup Round 3 results:
- Michigan Bucks (USL PDL) 3, Chicago Fire 2
- Chivas USA 1, Ventura County Fusion (USL PDL) 0
- Colorado Rapids 3, Tampa Bay Rowdies (NASL) 1
- Dayton Dutch Lions (USL Pro) 2, Columbus Crew 1
- D.C. United 2, Richmond Kickers (USL Pro) 1
- Charlotte Eagles (USL Pro) 2, FC Dallas 0
- San Antonio Scorpions (NASL) 1, Houston Dynamo 0
- Carolina Railhawks (NASL) 2, L.A. Galaxy 1
- Harrisburg City Islanders (USL Pro) 3, New England Revolution 3; Islanders advance on PK’s 4-3.
- New York Red Bulls 3, Charleston Battery (USL Pro) 0
- Philadelphia Union 3, Rochester Rhinos (USL Pro) 0
- Minnesota Stars FC (NASL) 3, Real Salt Lake 1
- San Jose Earthquakes 2, Fort Lauderdale Strikers (NASL) 1
- Sporting Kansas City 3, Orlando City SC (USL Pro) 2